Marine Park Covid-19 Update
May 8, 2020
Based on government statements and the current Covid case load, we anticipate that camping will commence in early June, for day camping at least. However we have had several inquiries, asking what happens if this is not the case, so I want to clarify that we will not be issuing the July and August invoices unless, and until, a firm date for camping is announced by government.
David S. Snow
May 4, 2020
A lot has changed since our last Covid -19 statement on April 12, 2020. In that message we
committed to issuing another statement by May 7th, but given the recently announced plan to
reopen the economy, we feel that we have enough information to plot a path forward for the
This message supersedes the April 12th statement, and all prior Covid -19 statements. If the
situation changes dramatically in the future, and a new approach is required, we won’t hesitate
to adjust course, but we feel very confident that there will be a significant camping season this
year and this message should provide campers with enough information to decide if they would
like to keep their campsites at Marne Park or not.
What’s happening with camping in Canada
There has been a fair bit of discussion on social media regarding the provincial government’s
plan for campsites. As they have stated, and demonstrated, they are willing to adjust their plans
and restrictions when they feel that there is good reason to do so.
The most controversial aspect of the government plan seems to be the idea of having an
intermediate step of “daytime camping” before opening campsites to overnight stays. I think it is
fair to say that this idea is being heavily scrutinized, not only because no other province has
taken this approach, but also because of the enforcement challenges it presents, and questions
about its efficacy. Time will tell if this plan is altered, but the path we are laying out today will
be applicable whether they bump overnight camping to level 3, or not.
Before getting into the plan for the season, I thought it might be helpful to give some
perspective on where all the provinces are in terms of Covid-19 cases, and the status of their
Fortunately, we are the province with the third lowest number of cases in the country. Only PEI
and NB have fared better. Our location and geographic isolation has always been a blessing
and a curse. When it comes to pandemics I would definitely put it in the ‘blessing’ category.
The government has put in place tight controls on who can come into the province, and what
they can do when they get here. These border controls, along with rapid testing and contract
tracing, should prevent a large outbreak this summer.
This infographic, produced by the Government of Canada, shows the total case count by
province on May 3rd. It is very interesting to see the number of cases in each province and
reflect upon the approach they are taking to camping, which is outlined below.
Current Status of Camping By Province
Seasonal campsites in private campgrounds are now open.
Prince Edward Island
Campgrounds are slated to open on June 11th.
Seasonal campsites expected to open in early-mid May
They have nearly 30,000 cases and haven’t announced a date for campground openings. They
also have large population centres that have a high infection rate and they have concerns about
the spread of the virus to rural parts of the province with low infection rates.
They have nearly 20,000 cases and haven’t announced a date for campground openings. Like
Quebec, they also have large population centres that have a high infection rate and they are
concerned about the spread of the virus to rural parts of the province with low infection rates.
Manitoba's private campgrounds are now open. All provincial campground will be open by May 6th
Campgrounds now open
Private campgrounds and some provincial parks now open for camping.
Not only are private campgrounds in BC open, they were deemed an essential service and remained
open when most businesses were closed.
The Plan for Marine Park
The due dates for paying deposits and camping fee installment are as follows:
May 11, 2020 - $300 deposits are due or all property must be removed from your campsite by
June 1, 2020 - First installment of camping fees are due ($750), unless the government rules
change and camping is allowed prior to June 1st, in which case this payment will be due on the
first day of camping.
July 1, 2020 - Second installment of camping fees are due ($1050)
August 1, 2020 - Third installment of camping fees are due (amounts will vary depending on
campsite type). Any reduction in campsite fees will be applied to this invoice.
Sept 9, 2020 - Previously scheduled end of summer season
October 15, 2020 - New end of summer season, except for those campers who opt out.
If you have a question or concern about these dates please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For summer season camping clients we are offering three ways to deal with the loss of
camping time during the 2020-2021 season.
● Option #1 : Clients can choose an extended summer camping season which would
end on October 15th. This option also comes with a reduction in winter storage fees of
$50. This will be the default approach for all campsites unless you request another
option. If you wish to choose options #2 or #3, please email email@example.com and
indicate your preference. Please be sure to include the site number and the name that is
on the lease.
● Option #2 : Clients can end their season at the previously scheduled date of September
9, 2020, and have their seasonal fees prorated, thereby reducing their Aug 1st invoice.
In all circumstances the deposit and first two invoices must be paid in full to continue
camping. Days when daytime camping is permitted, but overnight camping is not, will
count as 0.5 of a lost camping day.
● Option #3 : Clients can pay their full seasonal fees and take what would have been
discount for lost camping days ( Option #2 ) in the form of a gift certificate towards Yogi Bear /
Jellystone Park or Lazy Ones clothing and merchandise, at a rate of 125% of the
summer seasonal discount for lost camping.
For all season camping clients we are offering two ways to deal with the loss of camping time
during the 2020-2021 season.
● Option #1 : Clients can request a prorated discount on their campsite, thereby reducing
their Aug 1st invoice. In all circumstances the deposit and first two invoices must be
paid in full to continue camping. Days when daytime camping is permitted, but overnight
camping is not, will count as 0.5 of a lost camping day.
● Option #2 : Clients pay their full seasonal fees and take what would have been discount
for lost camping days ( Option #1 ) in the form of a gift certificate towards Yogi Bear /
Jellystone Park or Lazy Ones clothing and merchandise at a rate of 125% of the
seasonal discount for lost camping.
Anyone who has paid their full 2020-2021 camping fees will receive their cash refund or gift
certificate once we have a firm date for opening, and can calculate the amount due.
To ensure compliance with the Health Order on campsites, gates cards have been temporarily
deactivated. If you have decided not to keep your campsite, and you need to get in the park to
retrieve your trailer and personal property, you can sign out a gate card at the store. If you have
a concern about your trailer please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will take a drive
by for you. We will not be signing out gate cards for people to “check on their trailers”.
Those not renewing their leases, should note that for liability reasons we will not be offering
towing services, or trailer storage over the summer months. If you are not renting a campsite,
your trailer and personal property have to be removed from the park by May 11th, unless you
are an all-season camper with a renewal date after the 11th. In this case you have to have your
site emptied and cleaned by your renewal date.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us directly at email@example.com.
We will not be responding to posts on social media and due to the large number of campsites and
available communication methods, we will be prioritizing emails to this address over other forms
David B. Snow
Lakewood Development Corporation